Thursday, October 6, 2022

Fall Baking

Something about all the bountiful harvest this late summer and fall has put me in the mood for baking. Normally, I am not a real big fan spending time in the kitchen; I much prefer the sewing room.

My neighbor and I went to a local orchard last week, as she wanted apples for making applesauce. I really wasn't interested in that but I went along to help her gather "drops." These are the apples that have fallen on the ground, and will be sold more cheaply if you pick them up. Applesauce apples can have some bruises, so it seemed like a perfect solution. 

Karnes Orchard has been practically in my backyard my entire life, yet I'd never picked apples there, or even visited! Seems a shame that we don't do things available to us so close to home. Oh well, we had a good time, got a bit of exercise, and came home with a bushel of apples for Dorothy's applesauce, and half bushel for me to make pies.

In addition to the two pies I took to our daughters, we have had one for ourselves and I put one in the freezer. I have enough apples left to make one or two more.

I never make a two-crust pie if I can help it. Especially with apple, a crumble top is preferred and the more nuts the better. I used walnuts this time, but pecans are just as tasty.

And speaking of baking, before heading up to the long arm, I am going to put a loaf of zucchini bread in the oven. I have one last zuke to use. We have become big fans of chocolate chips and nuts added to the batter; it is mighty tasty fresh out of the oven or with a morning cup of coffee.

Sewing and quilting efforts this week have been limited to hand quilting Fall Foliage in the evenings - my fingers are getting sore from all the needle pricks! - and afternoons patiently trying to master the tension knob on my long arm. I put a navy thread in the bobbin and a white thread on top and have made so many adjustments trying to get a good looking stitch. The two colors of thread help to see what needs to be adjusted. I have a quilt loaded and ready for quilting, and hope I am successful this afternoon at getting the tension right so I can go-go-go. 

Perseverance has been the name of the game. If I get too frustrated, I just walk away, busy myself elsewhere, then go back to it. One of those "busy myself elsewhere" moments was used to file patterns and such in the sewing room. See yesterday's post about the tidying efforts.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!