Tuesday, October 11, 2022

Easiest Baby Quilt

While we were away gawking at fall color in upstate New York and Pennsylvania, I posted a picture on a Facebook thread in which the quilter asked about easy and fast quilts for a baby gift. It occurred to me that I have made seven -7! - versions of this quilt. 

First, here is the picture I shared. It was the version most readily available on my phone. It got several inquiries from quilters on the thread, so I thought I'd share it here, along with all its 'cousins.'

Now, let me go in what I think is the correct order of making. The one shown above was made in April 2020.
 

The first was for my nephew and his wife as they expected their first son in November 2017. I wrote about gifting this quilt here.

Also in 2017, I made this version. While the blocks are smaller, the same general plan is used. This one is shown with the backing fabric hanging in front. The quilt was pinned to the design wall; for whatever reason, I don't think I have a finished picture of this quilt.


In 2018, I made this one for a friend who went to school with  my kiddos.

Another one made in 2020; this is for a little girl, and featured flannels.

The two most recent baby quilts have been for my sister's two grandchildren, Archie and Boone.

Archie's was made using some leftovers from previous baby quilts along with a collection of playful Fisher Price fabrics.

Boone's was made with bright green and yellow juvenile prints featuring tractors, airplanes and such. I need to get a better picture; it was secret sewing when this was taken; I neglected to have a full view photo to use for later.

Even though some of the photos are not full-on shots of the quilts, the general idea is still there. I make the quilts wide enough so that I can use a length of 45" fabric for the backing. The squares for the top are usually cut at 4" or 5" although some of them may have been smaller. Definitely that one with gray and orange was smaller. I generally make them as wide as possible to fit the yardage of the backing, or until I run out of one of the fabrics for the top. No great scientific plan for these; they are to be used and washed and loved and snuggled. When and if they wear out, the mamas simply need to let me know that they'd like another!

Hope you are having a great day! We got home from our trip late afternoon Tuesday; all the luggage has been cleared and put away. I have done a bit of hand quilting on Fall Foliage. Making progress!

Happy Quilting, Friends!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!