Monday, October 3, 2022

September Collage & October Goals

As we begin a new month, I always like to review the one just past and establish a plan of action for the the one ahead.  So let's do that today.

The September collage contains a lot more running around than quilting, but that's okay. It was a fun month, even if it might not have been the most productive as far as quilt-making is concerned.

TOP ROW: My brother-in-law, husband and I took a madcap trip to Kansas City to see the Guardians play the Royals at Kaufmann Field. It was a nutty thing to do, driving 11 hours to see a baseball game and then turning around the next day to drive home, but we had a great time, our team won in extra innings and all went well. The following weekend we celebrated our daughter Erin and her hubby Jeff as they are in the last month of pregnancy - our granddaughter will arrive later this month! Pictured is my mother and preggo daughter Erin, and aunt-to-be, daughter Emma. The final picture in the top row is taken at a nearby orchard where my neighbor and I spent a morning picking apples. When I saw this multi-generational family of Mennonite ladies tugging an overflowing apple wagon up the hill, I just had to snap a photo.

MIDDLE ROW: Finally, I finished the William Morris flimsy on the very last day of September. It is still hanging on the design wall just so I can gaze at it! To mark the first day of fall, we joined our friends on their pontoon boat on nearby Rocky Fork Lake. I grew up with this lake just across the county, yet I'd never boated on it. The weather took a chilly turn that day, so we were bundled up, but it was a gloriously relaxing day with friends. The quilt pictured next is one I made up after seeing an internet picture. Made with solids and Kaffe Fassett florals, I plan to quilt it this week.

BOTTOM ROW: The hexies are a trial run at seeing how they look sewn together. I am considering options, but for now it appears to be destined to be the center of a tablecloth. The next two photos are taken from my front sidewalk. One night we had the most interesting mixture of clouds over the sunset that produced the look of golden-tipped trees above the shadows. To the east, it looks as though the leaves have turned golden, but it is the sun shining on them. The last picture is a sunset from a different evening. Looking west toward the sunset, we had a glorious display of colors to end the day. Later I learned this was likely the lingering clouds from that destructive Hurricane Ian.

Here's a wider view of golden tree tops. It truly looked magical.

Now what do I have in the works for October? I've had to give this some careful consideration, actually. We have that grandbaby coming at the end of the month, and for 4-5 days mid-month we are planning to drive toward New England to see fall colors. Yes, tree-peepers. We missed the good color last year by being there too early, so we are gonna' try again. My quilting will have to fit around those two events - no problem!

1. I am taking the hexies with me on our New England road trip. Easy stitching in hotel rooms and on boring interstates. When we get into the pretty country, though, I will be totally immersed in the views.

2. I will continue hand quilting the quilt from History Day, Fall Foliage. It's just straight stitching and it shouldn't take long if I just stay at it.

3. Do 3-4 quilts on the the long arm machine. I have two ready to go with their backings prepped, as well. By the time I get those first two done, I will have a plan for the what comes next.

4. Sew the blocks together for my green/cream snowball quilt. I have sorta' been ignoring it, and it needs to be finished.

5. Put borders on my red and white Irish Chain. I have been wavering about doing it, but Sharon did add them to hers. Oh My! They really add so much. I will share pics of Sharon's soon. Here is mine sans borders.

It is good to have a plan. Too often I fly by the seat of my pants and consequently don't get much done. It helps to be able to refer to a list like this. Oh that urge to make new projects is still one that might grab hold, so don't be surprised to see me deviate from the list every now and then. For example, I still want to make a pine tree quilt and a fall leaf quilt. Hmmm....

Hope you have a productive month - one that sees you tick a few items off your list and allows you to create some new magic along the way!

Happy Quilting, Friends!





2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this roundup post. Such wonderful photos of your projects and the happy faces and sunsets too. I'm in love with your Morris piece...I have a stash I've been collecting for awhile...need to jump in and do something with it. Anyway, Happy October from me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your sweet remarks! You know, I was not sure that I would like the Wm. Morris fabrics in this quilt, so I wavered quite a bit before taking the plunge. Now that it's done, I am so glad I did. It reinforces my long-help belief: rarely does a quilt look bad!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!