Sunday, October 16, 2022

Hand Quilting

Can you believe it? I am still working on Fall Foliage! My History Day demonstration project hasn't yet been tucked away for yet another hibernation. YAY! (Read this post for an explanation of this quilt's long history.)

Thank goodness our Cleveland Guardians continue winning! These ballgames are fun to watch while I sit to quilt. We are definitely enjoying this October baseball.

My cobbled-together quilting space requires this cutting board being commandeered as a table for my light. The family room lighting is too dim for quilting, so this little solution works fine. 

This morning I pulled the quilt out to snap a "full frontal" of the quilt in the frame. I was curious to see if I'd quilted any more than just what I have there on the top. Nope. I really hadn't made any significant progress on this (especially when I know I put it in this frame in 2018!).


I like seeing this view, as it shows quite a bit. First, my Q-Snap frame is showing its age with all that yellowing. She's still in great shape, though, so she stays. Look at the difference in the joints; obviously made with different plastics.

Another thing I see is that with some "stick-to-it-iveness" I can have this lap quilt finished off in relatively short order. The center of the quilt is 5x6 blocks on point; 6-inch blocks. Add the borders, and voila, the quilting will be done. 

And another thing the photo shows me is how cool the quilting looks. By moving the frame out a bit closer to natural light, the grid-lines show up really well. And, I'm getting really close to moving the quilt to a new section!

I just need to stay with it.

My fingers are becoming adequately calloused, so I think while I've toughened them up, I ought to keep at it. Maybe the fine gals over at the Slow Sunday Stitching party will keep me motivated. I will join Kathy and the rest to see what everyone is working on.

Have a wonderful Sunday and...

Happy Quilting, Friends!


13 comments:

  1. Your quilting look very nice the simple design compliments the on point squares. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gretchen. Straight lines: my preferred stitch! 😂

      Delete
  2. Yahoo for quilting progress! Stay with it and it will be done and out of the frame. I’m sure there are more waiting for their turns in the frame if you are anything like me! The quilting looks great! Gail at the Cozy quilter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind encouragement, Gail! And, yes, there are many, many more!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful quilt ! What fabric collection did you use? I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made this top over 10 years ago and probably had the fabric a good while before that; I don’t have a clue of the name of it. Sorry!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful quilting! I love the colors in the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The gal in the LQS helped me pick them out. ☺️

      Delete
  5. Every stitch counts, slowly but surely you will get there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Jenny! You are so right! ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how beautiful! The quilting texture really makes this pretty quilt even more wonderful! Enjoy! Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!