Thursday, December 28, 2023

Santa's Helper?

Some quilters get rather bent out of shape when asked to mend something for someone, and I admit to having acted this way a time or two. However, in the days following Christmas, when my sister asked if there was a way to repair a stocking, I was totally in "yes, I can" mode. 

I've spent so little time in the quilting room these last few weeks, that an easy, almost mindless mending job suited me to a tee.

The stocking in question is this 35-year-old panel stocking that my sister stitched together for her daughter (my niece) Abby. 

Now, this is a special stocking, let me tell you. Not only is Abby a very special daughter and niece, the fact that Sandy (my sister) actually sat at a sewing machine to make this takes it to a whole new level of special. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen her sewing, that's how rarely it as occurred.

Take a look at the toe of the stocking - at some point however many years ago, it was hung too close to a roaring fire, and the tip got singed. It was still all attached, but it looked unsightly and it was very precarious for any amount of weight dropped into that stocking would have surely ripped it wide open.

I put on my Santa's Helper hat and spent a very relaxing hour or so breathing new life into this stocking. And I think I did okay. I couldn't exactly match the fabrics, but my stash of Christmas fabrics contained one that suited the job.

I used a seam ripper to take apart the entire toe end of the stocking. Then I cut away the really tattered, burned parts. I traced a rough pattern onto my replacement fabric, then 'eyeballed' the placement enough to cover the toe.

After finishing both sides, it seemed that I really should quilt the fabric so that the new stuff was attached to the original. I grabbed a little ruler and drew out a grid on which to make my quilting stitches.

This side of the stocking had more burned areas, so it needed a larger patch than the other. It looks passable, with the front and back stitched back together. I sure don't want anyone judging it, but for the few days per year that it will be displayed and used, it will suffice. 

A humble little stocking needed a humble little repair. And now it is good for another 35 years, right? Just don't hang it too close to a roaring fire!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. Great job with the mending of this treasured stocking. Now it is able to take pride of place at Christmastime for a few more years more. I must admit although I do mend I'm not a fan.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!