Saturday, December 30, 2023

Secret Santa Sewing

Only one truly secret bit of sewing for me this year and that was for one very special granddaughter! What fun to sew for her!

Way back in the spring or summer, daughter Erin handed off a little stack of fabrics that she suggested would be suitable for little outfits for baby Cate. This stack intimidated me a bit as they were much more loosely woven fabrics that the normal quilting cottons I am accustomed to sewing.

The light fabric on top has already been made up into a little sleeveless dress, but I think I waited too late to make it as it was no longer sleeveless weather and she was nearly too big for the size I made. 

The dark blue on the bottom of the stack is what I made for Christmas. When Erin gave me these fabrics, she specifically said she thought the blue would be perfect as a little pair of overalls. Yes! And I think I absolutely delivered on that request!

The loose weave of the fabric gave me some problems, but nearly every single seam was given some sort of finish to prevent raveling. I zigzagged some, folded others, and pinked even others. In the few months that this will fit Cate, it oughtn't give out from frayed seams.

The other problem I encountered was the need to sew snap strips on the legs to simplify diaper changes; always avoid the fuss of undoing the whole outfit if possible, right? The snaps were easy enough to acquire through Amazon; they were delivered in short order.

The picture here sorta' shows the stiffness of the snaps, but on the baby it should look perfectly normal. I am waiting on a picture of sweet Cate wearing her new overalls. I expect one to be forthcoming any day now.

So just one fabric remains to be stitched for our girl - the pastel stripe. To me the fabric says 'jumper' so I will probably go that route. I need to get cracking on it! Our Cate is growing, and there is only a yard of fabric - no time to waste!

I might not have a pic of Cate wearing her new duds, but I do have Cate pics - by the hundreds! Let's just go ahead a share one here. *smile*


 

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!