Saturday, December 23, 2023

Festive Churn Dash

That cute little churn dash block from yesterday's post is now stitched up with 8 others into a happy, festive little table topper. I am just loving it!

All the fabrics are from the existing stash. The red setting fabric was from my friend Kay's sewing room. The backgrounds were just random fat quarters collected over the years, and the three browns used for the churn dashes are scraps from quilts made over 20 years ago.

The inspiration for this little quilt (pictured below) is one I've saved and come back to time and time again. I don't think there's any one specific reason I have been so taken with it. I love the cute little dashes; I love that it's on point; I love brown and red together. To me it simply screams "make this!" 

And so finally, I have!

I've added a tag onto the picture indicating that I do not know the source for this quilt; likely it was saved from Pinterest or Instagram, my usual two sources for inspiration. If any reader knows the source, I'd sure love to acknowledge it, so let me know.

I see that my churn dashes are evenly divided whereas the inspiration quilt has smaller center squares separating the corner triangles, making the churn dashes look chubbier. I might return to this and make another one with that chubbier churn dash. 

I do love the churn dash, in whatever form it appears. A couple of years ago, I was in a major churn dash frenzy. Click here to see the exchange blocks project of the the Frankfort Girls. The quilt from those blocks is pictured below. Also, click here to see True Blue, a large churn dash quilt. And click here to see a navy and poison green example. 

I'm sure I've got a scrap piece of batting for my festive little lovely; I will do a stash dive for backing. The binding has to be brown, like the inspiration. I can see this being finished off in short order.


Only two more sleeps till Christmas!! 

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!