Thursday, December 7, 2023

Seen While Thrifting

On Tuesday we joined some friends for a day of antiquing and thrifting in a small town a couple of hours east of here. We had such a great day - good friends, adventures, and diversions. I don't buy antique quilts, but being a quilter, I do love to see them, and I often check the pricing. It saddens me to see beautiful works of art being sold for a pittance, but at the same time, I sure hope these lovingly stitched quilts are rescued by someone who intends to cherish and protect them for future generations.

The cream of the crop finds were these two green quilts. So lovely. If I were a collector, I would undoubtedly have snatched these up. The prices were right around $120, and the tags said they were from a local area home. Aren't they inspiring?


These two rested on a rack together, but space was so tight that I did not attempt to open them up for better pictures. The purple one looked to be in much better condition; the blue one would have been suitable for a "cutter" quilt - one that would be used to make teddy bears or pillows from. Here are the tags from them.


While the pictures so far have featured 2-color quilts, these next two pictures include good examples of more colorful and scrappy quilts. The makers used everything!!

First, let's examine the applique quilt on the right. The red, green, and white motifs were massive. There was minimal actual stitching on it.

The scrappy quilts included this Dresden plate - exceedingly colorful and bright. I did not unfold to inspect size or condition. The quilt pictured below was scrappy, too, but much more controlled and calm.

By the time I found the quilts featured in the previous two pictures, we were nearing the end of our shopping day, so I didn't take the time to check the prices. I was trying to see everything else before "go time."


I not only pay attention to quilts, but other textiles as well. I am a sucker for vintage table linens. This poinsettia one caught my eye, but at $35, I was not interested. Looked to be in good shape, though! Maybe I missed a good one.

Are you a thrifter? Do you pick up great old textiles whenever you are out and about? Hope you enjoyed this little glimpse into my thrifting adventure.  

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!