Tuesday, June 26, 2012

2012 Quilt Camp - Day 1

Seems impossible that a year has flown by and we are having yet another quilt camp at CHS. Sharon seems to think this is year # 23. I would have guessed more, but that's all it would be - just a guess.

Here are some of the Day 1 projects. Anita was given some very old Log Cabin blocks and was asked to please make them into a quilt. A relative of a relative made the request, and one just can't say no to that, can one?? The blocks are totally wonky and made with every fabric under the sun - including double knit!!

Here is Anita sprawled out on the tables and counter attempting to lay out all the squares. She arranged and re-arranged for a good while before arriving at this design. Next, she "squared up" a few of the blocks, then realized that no amount of squaring up will help some of these blocks!

She has quite a challenge ahead of her!



Next we will visit Sharon R. - a new-to-quilting gal. She is hard at work cutting out a simple quilt in these gorgeous fabrics. I am eager to see what she accomplishes by week's end.

 Pam came to quilt camp armed with 2 projects. First, placemats of red and black. She will be gifting these to a bride whose dishes will match.


Her second project is something she is doing in conjunction with her Sunday School class.

Everyone is to make a 21" quilt for a missions raffle. The quilt top can be turned into either a table topper, a pillow, a wall hanging or a wreath decoration.


Pam says she used a lot of scraps in this, but gosh, I love how bright it is! The lucky raffle winner will enjoy this whichever way she decides to use it!

Moving on, we will see what Sherrie is working on. Her quilts are always so perfect. She is meticulous in pressing, cutting, seam allowances, etc. This quilt will be a gift for her neice who is soon to be married.


A Bouquet of Stars is gorgeous, isn't it? I am going to have to borrow Sherrie's book when she's finished making this, so I can make one, too!

Not only has she picked the most wonderful pattern, but she is using some fantastic fabric, too!


I forget the precise name of the line, but it has "Provence" in it; I will write it down when I return tomorrow. Isn't that a gorgeous star? I want!! Sherrie is dreading all the flying geese this pattern requires, but it will be oh-so-worth-it when she'd finished!

This BOM is Kay's project. She enrolled in the class being offered at our new quilt shop in town. The Generals' Wives Quilt is stunning. I want to buy that blue background fabric so bad , but I have thus far resisted. Kay was working on some star points, and I believe some "unsewing" was involved. *wink*

Sharon P. was having a good time with 2 lines of Robin Pandolph fabric: Moondance and Simplicity. She is making her first Tag Sale! Oh, I love that quilt! And hers is going to be beautiful!

This photo does not do this fabulous fabric justice, but suffice it to say that this will be a totally soft, romantic and dreamy quilt.

Yours truly worked on her 2nd quilt using the Victorian Roses pattern, only 1/2" smaller on the basic 4-patch unit. I ran out of two of the fabrics! I needed just one more 5.5" square to get the 13th pieced block. I knew I could count on my quilting girlies to come through for me!! Kay sent me a text this morning saying she had it!! Saved!! Yessss!!!

That fabric on the bottom was what I ran out of. First. Then, as I was sewing along, making as much of the quilt as I could, it became obvious that I was going to be short on the top fabric, as well. (This is what happens when 1) you make up your own pattern, and 2) when you use from your stash!) I had my iPad along with me, and by gosh, I just shopped right there on the spot, ordered it, and will have it by week's end, hopefully.

So that is day one of 2012's Quilt Camp. I opted to stay home today, but will go back on Wednesday and Thursday. Friday morning I have quilting with the Frankfort girls (I missed them last time because I was in Myrtle Beach!), and I doubt I will go in just for an afternoon.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun time with your quilting friends. Such beautiful project planned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quilt camp sounds like so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!