Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Bit of Progress

Do you ever draw out the quilt you are planning? I have made up a couple of quilts, and it always seems necessary for me to have a diagram of what I am doing. Victorian Roses is no exception. As I was finishing up the 4-patches, I stopped sewing to draw out my diagram.



Those 9-patch blocks with the 4-patches are going to finish out at 18" - whopping!!

Victorian Roses is coming along, but not as quickly as I'd hoped. I have had to do some unsewing, darn it. *grumble* But I want it done right, so I am not getting upset about it. Part of the problem is that the small blue print is directional. If I want the stripes to go all in the same direction, I have to adjust half of the 4-patch blocks. Not so terrible. I won't complain, but it is slowing me down.


See what I mean about the print being directional? Pretty little feather-like design.


Here is my first finished pieced block - all 18" of it. Constructing a quilt top of blocks so large will certainly go fast, won't it?

In looking at the diagram, above, I wonder if I ought to add one row on the right, so that the secondary design of the blue print fabric goes from corner to corner.  I will need to cut more of everything, but wouldn't be a huge amount of extra work. If I leave things as they are, the quilt in the diagram will finish out at 72" x 90". Adding a row would make it 90" square. Either size suits me just fine.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. I vote for adding the extra row.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's going to look great, but personally I would add in the extra row. That's just me though, and my need for symmetry.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!