Quilting Fun


While I love the satisfaction of finishing a quilt, it isn't the only way to have fun with quilting. Fun also comes from the great outings with girlfriends, shopping expeditions with Grandma, or just sitting in my "thoughtful spot" chair perusing magazines and books. The thrill of the next project waiting just there on the horizon...

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

A Bit of Progress

Do you ever draw out the quilt you are planning? I have made up a couple of quilts, and it always seems necessary for me to have a diagram of what I am doing. Victorian Roses is no exception. As I was finishing up the 4-patches, I stopped sewing to draw out my diagram.



Those 9-patch blocks with the 4-patches are going to finish out at 18" - whopping!!

Victorian Roses is coming along, but not as quickly as I'd hoped. I have had to do some unsewing, darn it. *grumble* But I want it done right, so I am not getting upset about it. Part of the problem is that the small blue print is directional. If I want the stripes to go all in the same direction, I have to adjust half of the 4-patch blocks. Not so terrible. I won't complain, but it is slowing me down.


See what I mean about the print being directional? Pretty little feather-like design.


Here is my first finished pieced block - all 18" of it. Constructing a quilt top of blocks so large will certainly go fast, won't it?

In looking at the diagram, above, I wonder if I ought to add one row on the right, so that the secondary design of the blue print fabric goes from corner to corner.  I will need to cut more of everything, but wouldn't be a huge amount of extra work. If I leave things as they are, the quilt in the diagram will finish out at 72" x 90". Adding a row would make it 90" square. Either size suits me just fine.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

Amie said...

I vote for adding the extra row.

QuiltSue said...

It's going to look great, but personally I would add in the extra row. That's just me though, and my need for symmetry.