Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Zipper Bag/Zipper Lesson

Serendipity describes how our zipper lesson came to be yesterday when Claudia was here. She requested a lesson on learning to sew in a zipper, and I had been wanting for the longest time to make a little zipper bag that I had seen online. Consequently, we had a happy meeting of the minds, and came away with a couple of nifty little bags.

The fabric for outer and lining bag parts were fat quarters from my stash. I had a couple of 9" zippers, too, but Claudia brought a 22" zipper, so we had a lesson about cutting a zipper down to size, and saving the end, because zipper pulls are available in sewing stores.

After we cut our 7"x 9" pieces, we began zipper application. It was not a smooth lesson. We faced issues that we eventually attributed to using inferior thread. It may have been something else, but we did finally get things going, and we finished our bags.

These bags are fresh off the sewing machine - not even pressed yet. It is billed as a 15-minute bag, but I think you might have to get your learning curve out of the way before expecting those speedy results. Anyway, we set these aside, and proceeded with our  quilting plans, which I will bring you tomorrow. Here are a couple more views of my bag after pressing.


I will definitely be making more of these bags; I think an assembly line of them would be the way to go.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

4 comments:

  1. Very pretty, great for presents. If I was organised it would be clever to make a batch in Christmas fabric . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I need to practice sewing in zippers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these guys are addictive once you start making them. I took scraps and made my bag fabric. then cut them out and sewed assembly line style. into the box they go for gifting. love quick projects like that

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to have to make some of these cute little bags, great way to get that zipper fear out of me, LOL! Great fabric used on your bags.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!