Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Lady of the Lake Flimsy

Much, much more quickly than I ever imagined, I finished up the flimsy of my Lady of the Lake quilt. Piecing does go pretty fast when one makes quilts that measure just 52" square.


To recap the basics on this quilt, I took a picture of a quilt in 1996, bought the 4 center fabrics soon after, and then waited decades to recreate the quilt in the aforementioned picture.

Much more recently, I bought a pad of Cake Mix foundation papers - #11, to be precise - one of the blocks this featured with #11 was a Lady of the Lake block.

Those two events merged earlier this month (click here for that), and I began stitching these blocks. Here's a link for additional catching up.


When I bought the 4 central fabrics, I had no idea of how big I'd want my quilt to be, so I only bought a yard of each. That obviously limited me to a smaller quilt. I had to cut my own squares to use with the foundation papers, and when I ran out of fabric I knew I had to work with the 24 blocks that the fabric yielded. I still have papers remaining, but those will have to go for another project.


I toyed with various settings for this quilt. I did not have the blocks on point as I began, but once I did set them this way, I knew it was perfect. I'd have loved having more blocks to work with, but this will be fine as a throw or accent, maybe even a table covering.


I am proud to say that my setting triangles and border fabrics came from my existing stash. I am trying so hard to use the fabric on hand.

I have plans to try to get a quilt on the long arm by week's end. The weatherman tells us that we are in for a stretch of hot, sultry days, so holing up with Tin Lizzie sounds like a good indoor activity.

I have also begun a new hand-stitching project, which I will share soon.

Hope you are enjoying some beautiful summer days! It's been gloriously beautiful here lately, and I can't get enough of being outdoors.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

3 comments:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!