Thursday, June 18, 2020

A Project for the Road

Next week we will be taking off for a long cross-country drive which necessitates my coming up with some hand stitching project for car traveling. I know I could take Lake Effect or any number of cross stitch projects, but because I always like beginning new things, I have decided to do that, instead. Yeah. Begin something new. That's always a good idea. *grin*

The Key West quilt is a relatively new item on my bucket list. Like just over a year to 'marinate.' Last spring break, DH and I spent a week in Key West, Florida, and we did visit a quilt shop on the island. I wrote about it here.

One distinct memory of the garden at our hotel was the privacy fence which had cutouts that looks like the periwinkle block. When I bought the fabrics, I had this design in mind; that vacation idea from 2019 will be the hand work I do on our 2020 vacation out west.


I pressed the fabric and cut out a few bits just to make my first block. I wanted to get a feel for how easy it would be to stitch it in a moving vehicle. 
 


It was easy enough to stitch, and actually went together rather fast. I do believe I will enjoy working on this while traveling.


So prepping has been underway. I have still to cut about half of the background pieces. I have not done the math (surprises no one!) to see how many periwinkle blocks I will end up with. As is my norm, I will stitch until I run out of fabric. Then proceed from there.

The pattern I'm using is in the book Perfectly Pretty Patchwork; you can see a portion of the periwinkles on the cover. And, again as my norm, I am not following the pattern directions, which call for small and large periwinkle blocks. I am opting to make just large ones. I will figure out my setting later.



I traced out the two pieces needed and then traced them onto the fabric which I cut in widths to fit them.


I am set for a long, long car ride. I sure hope I make a lot of blocks. We shall see how diligent I will be. I know there will be lots to look at, so balance is required. I don't want to miss the sights!

Sharon is here today. She is working on using the Larkspur remnants in a quilt she is calling Larks Meadow. Stay tuned for pictures.

I am working on some items from the goals list: a baby quilt and a wedding quilt. There might be a quilt on the long arm before the day is done!

Happy Quilting, Friends!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!