Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Sampler Project Update

Helen assigned our block for this month - Card Trick. I was very intrigued by this choice, as in all the years I've quilted, I have never made this block. It's always good to get the chance to do something new.

I soon ran into a problem, however. This block does not lend itself to the 2-color quilt I am making. The block consists of 4 cards, and each one, ideally, is a different color. So what to do? Hmm...

I remembered that we are loosely following only the fewest rules in this group project, so I made a personal decision to make a different block for my red-and-white sampler.


I picked an easy block and had these two pretty blocks stitched up in no time. The name of the block is Three and Six - a strange name, but I suppose it means that there are three plain units and six HST units used in the making of the block.


You may recall that I am making a second quilt from the blocks in our group sew-along. My trial blocks all turned out so good that I have just made the decision to finish it out in 30s prints. I am able to have the Card Trick block here, because the more 30s colors and prints the better.

My first Card Trick block! I love it. I really had to be careful about cutting and stitching this, because it is easy to get things all mixed up and out of place. Taking a bit of extra time is worth it.

Here are all my 30s blocks scattered on my cutting table.

Seeing all the blocks together - both this 30s effort and the red and white effort - are beginning to make me eager to sew the tops, but I must wait until I get all the blocks. I need to make sure that I randomly place blocks in a pleasing manner.

Raccoon update: we have set the 6 traps 5 times (2 the first night) over that past week and a half. Every night we have captured a raccoon. That's a good average! Now we do have to account for the one that got away - remember that one chewed through the cage wires to make his escape. Still hard to believe that happened, but we have the proof. The score then is 5-1, humans in the lead.

Hope you are all staying well now that most things are opening back up.We continue to stay home more often than not, but do make it out occasionally. Happy to be returning to normal.

Happy Quilting, Friends!



1 comment:

  1. I like your choice of substitute block and the very pretty Card Trick block. I'm sure its not the case but the name 'Three and Six' made me think of our pre-decimal currency here in the UK. We had pounds, shillings and pence. There were 12 pennies in a shilling and twenty shillings in a pound! So 'three and six' would be a shorthand way of saying 3 shillings and six pence. The change to decimal happened in 1971 when I was in primary school - there was a lot to unlearn and more to learn!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!