Saturday, June 20, 2020

A Baby Girl Quilt

Hello Summer! It's official! I know lots of folks are having a hard time celebrating anything here in this strange year of 2020, but I am all in for summer!


I have been working on a little extra, unplanned quilt the last couple of days. This post from 2015 shows the purple Kaffe quilt that I made for Emma's graduation from OU. The blocks for her quilt left me with HSTs which I sewed together for a little "freebie" quilt. Scroll down in that link to see the freebie. I have had it hung in the closet all this time; basically, I'd forgotten all about it.


Until now, that is. I went to my closet of quilt tops earlier this week to see what I could find for a baby girl quilt. I liked the idea of using this top, but without a border it looked incomplete. I took the better part of a day deciding on borders, then attaching them. The picture above shows my light inner border and dark outer border. I am pleased with this little darling.


Check out the corner blocks used on the border. This design decision was necessitated because of a shortage of that dark border fabric. I was about 6 inches short of having enough to completely surround the quilt, so I made corner HSTs and -whew-made it work. I really love those corners, too, so it was a blessing that I had to think outside the box to end up with this little success.



The light inner border is used in several of the HSTs which offers a cohesiveness to the quilt, and that is the same fabric I used in the bigger corner HSTs.



I have a great polka dot backing selected, and the plan is to quilt this little darling today.

Happy Summer Solstice!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!