Sunday, June 7, 2020

More Lady of the Lake

I lacked a few details in yesterday's post about starting this project. These details do not aid in the how-to's for making this quilt, but it does fill in some gaps in the back story.

First, I mentioned that I am using a pad of Cake Mix papers from the lovely folks at Moda. Designed by Carrie Nelson, one of my favorite quilt pattern designers and authors, she created a whole series of these foundation pads for use with the pre-cuts known as Layer Cakes - 10" squares from a line of fabrics. You can see that I am using recipe 11, and there are 5 variations that can be made from this recipe. I am making the third example.


Yesterday's post referenced an old photograph that is my inspiration for this project. I guessed that it was at least 20 years old. I was close, but didn't go back far enough. Here is the photo  from 1996, believe it or not. Goodness gracious!


 Isn't is remarkable that 1.) I still have this picture, 2.) I still like this quilt enough to want to make it, and 3.) I have the fabric!? I say the stars are aligned for this, wouldn't you agree?

I can see now that my blocks are not the same as the blocks used in the inspiration photo, but I don't think I am going to fret over it. I am confident that my blocks will look fine and will be my "interpretation" of the quilt in the photo.


Now, I mentioned that sewing these is made more palatable with an audio book playing nearby. This would also be true for cutting, removing the papers, and pressing. Below is a picture of what one has after cutting just three blocks.


My plan is to take the block parts downstairs in the evening when DH and I are watching television. Pulling off the papers would be easy to do while watching a show. So I am trying to get a lot of them sewn and cut for now.

Steps. Making quilts is a series of steps, right? The first step of this quilt was taken in 1996. Mind-boggling. I took the picture, saved the picture, bought the fabric, revisited the picture, waited 24 years to find the cake mix #11, and finally have begun the construction. And that construction is a series of steps - cut the fabric, pin on the paper, stitch, cut, remove the paper, press, repeat 40+ times, construct the rows, then construct the quilt top. Steps, steps, and more steps.

This is a gorgeous Sunday here in southern Ohio. We have turned off the AC and opened up our windows. The skies are a glorious clear blue, and I am headed outside to enjoy it.

Hope you are having a pleasant Sunday wherever you are.
Happy Quilting, Friends!





1 comment:

  1. This is going to be a another beautiful quilt for you, made especially so because you're using blues! At least I think you are, the finished block looks light blue to me! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!