Wednesday, March 24, 2021

An 'Ah-Ha' Moment

After all these years of making quilts, it seems rather unlikely that I would discover something new, but I believe I have. And maybe it isn't new at all; perhaps it is just a new-to-me revelation. Read on to see if you are aware of this occurrence in your own quilting.

"The very act of working on a quilt causes the quilter to dream up plans for making more quilts."

There. What do you think? Could this be an actual phenomenon? Have generations of quilters known this to be true?

I was at the sewing machine yesterday, working on my patriotic version of the Spring Dreams Sew Along. I am currently at the stage where I am attaching sashing strips to cornerstones, and making rows. 


Before too long, I was daydreaming about the next Spring Dreams quilt I will make. It was effortless, I tell you. The idea of making another quilt came to me as naturally as breathing. In September, my sister's son and d-i-l will become first-time parents; that baby will need a quilt. What simpler quilt could be called for than a baby version? I will wait until we have a gender reveal, then get cracking on it.

And you might think - well, that is entirely normal. Everyone knows that making baby quilts is what quilters give to new parents. True; I have recorded making several over the years right here on this very blog. The revelation, at least to me, is the timing of the idea. It came to me whilst nearing the finish of a quilt top. 

Interesting...

But I wasn't done! No! I kept on dreaming. It is clear that I am going to have quite a bit of patriotic fabric remaining when this current quilt is done, so I began planning the next quilt to make with these remnants. Since there are still several jelly roll strips, I supposed a 9-patch would make sense, but perhaps with the yardage I would add hourglass blocks, and then stitch them up for a fun and festive quilt. And just like that, I planned yet another quilt.

Remaining 2.5" strips

Remaining yardage - all from Grandma's stash

See what I mean? Working on a quilt begets plans for more quilts.

This seems rather harmless, and not overly astounding. Just thinking and planning, after all. However, in considering things a bit more thoroughly, it occurs to me that I have been consistently doing this for years - so long, in fact, that my "To Do" list grows significantly with each quilt I stitch. That goals list I share every January becomes laughable by March. I've penciled in so many more quilts to make that an addendum might be in the works.

I don't think this is peculiar just to me. Sharon might have this tendency, too. (Or else we feed off each other!) 

The last few times Sharon has been here to sew, we tossed around ideas for 2-color quilts using solids. This, despite the fact that we were stitching away on our Spring Dreams quilts, and having several other WIPs (works in progress) waiting to be finished. Before too long, we were pulling out fabric tubs and deciding to make Double Irish Chain quilts. 

Mine will be blue and creamy white!
 

If it sounds like I am complaining about this "condition," I assure you that is definitely NOT the case. The very idea of making more and more and more quilts appeals to me on absolutely every level. This pastime provides so much satisfying enjoyment, that it never, ever grows old. 

Wanna' make a quilt? *wink*

Happy Quilting, Friends!



 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!