Friday, March 19, 2021

Changing It Up: A Guest Blogger

 Today you are in for a treat as Frienzie Pam has written up a little story about fabric she was gifted from the belongings of her husband's Aunt Margie. You have met Pam before; I've share some pictures of the Frienzies, and Pam wrote a blog post a good while back and this one even earlier about her church youth group doing quilted projects. Click the links if your curiosity gets the best of you.

Without further ado, Pam will take it from here...

Framed Fabrics 

In 2019, I was the recipient of the quilting supply collection of my husband’s late aunt. When I first got the “stuff” I took some quick pictures and laundered the fabrics. Aunt Margie had stored the fabrics in plastic storage boxes, sorted by color. She also had some sample or orphan blocks. I made these random blocks into table runners and a small quilt flimsy. Then, I just stuck the boxes in the closet of my sewing room, and forgot about them.

Recently, I was reading this blog and Jayne introduced the sew-along. I decided to participate. I pulled out the tub that contained the green fabrics and made my selections. I chose the green tub because it was on the bottom shelf and easiest to get to. While sorting the fabrics to make my selections for the sew-along, I found three fabric pieces that appeared to be dyed. They had the initials of Aunt Margie in the corners.

I vaguely remember when my mother in-law and her sister, (Aunt Margie) went somewhere and dyed fabrics together. They were in the same quilt group. I wish I had paid more attention and asked more questions. I think these are the prints that I have inherited. I decided to have them framed. I like the results and wanted to share them with you.  I am very pleased with the final product.

        

I know that I should probably do a deep dive into the other plastic storage boxes. Who knows what other treasures are hidden amongst the scraps! If I find any other treasures, I will let you know!

          In the meantime, I have been on Pinterest looking at various fabric dying techniques. I have found Shibori, Batik, Tie Dye, and Silk Screen Printing so far. I have no idea how my prints were created. I welcome your comments!




 Thanks, Pam! This is a very cool discovery for you in Aunt Margie's collection. I love that you wanted to share here! I think Aunt Margie and your mother-in-law must have been a pair of very adventurous ladies for their day.

Happy Quilting, Friends!






2 comments:

  1. My sister in-law read my guest blog post. She said the prints were made by the marbling technique. I checked Pinterest and YouTube and found lots of tutorials. Apparently the method is called Ebru in Turkey and Suminagashi in Japan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the additional details, Pam! Maybe we have an “activity” for when we are allowed to meet as a group! 😉

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!