Thursday, March 25, 2021

Patriotic Dreams

A spurt of creative energy has me making Spring Dreams Sew Along quilts one after another. Yesterday, I finished the patriotic version, and gosh, it looks so festive! 

While sewing it, I was struck by the chaotic nature of the fabrics - almost garish in the variety. Just keep on stitching, I told myself. It's supposed to be a celebration of the USA! Think fireworks, banners. parades, streamers - all the stuff of the Fourth of July. So, I think this works quite nicely.

Draped over the front porch settee, I like the way it pulls out the red of the shutters and chair cushions along with the white of the wicker. This quilt is square (6 blocks x 6 blocks) so will make a nice porch throw.

And if I don't use it as a porch throw, I can always use it as a table cloth. I won't have to work too hard to decorate for the Fourth; this quilt will go a long way to adding a festive punch to the decor.

The fabrics that make up the 9-patches are all from a jelly roll with a couple of minor exceptions. The sashing and the cornerstone fabrics came from my late grandmother's stash. She was exceedingly fond of patriotic quilts, so there was a hefty collection from which I could pull.

Here is Patriotic Dreams all folded up and waiting her turn in the long arm queue. (That's a long, long queue, but she might get bumped up.) This photo gives you a closer look at the fabrics. Busy, isn't it? With so few blocks (36), this throw-sized quilt went together quite fast. I love making this pattern!

You can see earlier renditions of this quilt through these links. They will also provide information about joining us in this sew along.

Original Spring Dreams Quilt

Scrappy Spring Dreams

Sharon's Paris Flea Market Spring Dreams

Lulu Lane Spring Dreams

The Inspiration Picture from blogger and Instagrammer, Helen Philipps.

Important note: I am double-checking my math on the chart provided in a couple of those links. I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be off with some of my numbers, so proceed cautiously until I provide an update one way or another.

Happy Quilting, Friends!





 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!