Monday, March 15, 2021

Sew Along Update - Week 3

Welcome to the Week 3 Sew Along Update! Are you enjoying some pleasant time pulling fabric or stitching 9-patches? I sure hope so! I simply cannot get enough of making this quilt. Anyone interested in making a quilt and also gaining some instant gratification - well, you've come to the right place. This sew along will make that happen!

I shared in my last post that I'd had a light bulb moment at Old Town Fabrics, which led me to digging out my old stash of Corey Yoder fabrics. I discovered not only a bin of scraps and remnants, but an entire jelly roll! THE most perfect thing for the Spring Dreams Sew Along!


I went straight to work on making 9-patches. Refer to last post for a bit of an introduction to that process. The photo above shows me near the end of the 9-patches. I'm at the point where I don't have a lot of variety left, and I am squeezing every last quarter-inch of fabric out of a remnant in order to complete a block. I made 73, and I only need 72, so I have an insurance block. 

I will add this detail for anyone who is using a jelly roll for this quilt. I easily got my 72 blocks made with the jelly roll and the yardage. (Sadly, I did not measure how much yardage I had of the neutral.)I also have leftover strips, so it looks like it would be entirely possible to get an even bigger quilt out of a jelly roll, as well. I have about 10 full and partial strips leftover. I will measure out what remains, and report in a future post.

I have since cut out all the sashing strips as well as the cornerstones and now find myself in quilt top construction mode! Here's a look at the yellow sashing strips and the blue-green cornerstones. The 9-patches are entirely made with Lulu Lane fabric; the yellow is either Moda Bella Solids or Kona Solids  - it was purchased so long ago I have no recollection of it. The cornerstones are Corey Yoder, but from a different line - Flower Mill, I believe. Anyway, I hemmed and hawed about using it, but decided to go for it; why waste time on senseless worrying about a "match" when I am the only one who will know?

I will wait until next week to show how the rows are coming together. I have only just begun and there's not much to see. Not a lot of impact with just one row completed. I do have a sashing and cornerstone unit stitched there at the bottom of the pic.

Let me instead show you this table topper flimsy that I was working on last week. It  is super scrappy, and I was really lucky to have found the dotted sashing fabric - it makes for a very fun little quilt. All the 9-patch fabrics came from my scrap basket - and so did the cornerstones. This is very much a bonus quilt in that it consists entirely of scraps and remnants.

One more note to share: Anita, who I ran into at the quilt shop last week, sent a picture of her fabrics for the sew along. She is using flannel remnants! What a different look she will have! Feel free to send your fabric selections! I will post them here to provide inspiration to others.

Have a great week! Sew up a storm!

Happy Quilting, Friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!