Monday, March 22, 2021

Sew Along Update - Week 4

How is everyone doing with the Spring Dreams quilt? Are you finding it as addictive to work on as I am? It seems to go together so fast that "making just one more block" takes no time at all.


It seems prudent to say here as we are now almost a month into the sew along that rushing is not the objective. We are enjoying the process - the many processes - involved in quilt making.

Take your time to find the fabrics you want. Whether you are restricting yourself to your fabric on hand - your stash, as it's known, or whether you are off to your local quilt shop (LQS) to touch and dream and consider all the myriad options, or whether you are loading an online shopping cart - all of these options for fabric choices comprise a process that is an enjoyable one.

And speaking of considering options, perhaps you also want to factor in your individual need. Maybe you need a baby quilt in the near future. Maybe you want to make a quilt to fill a design need in your home. Maybe you want to use up some of a burgeoning stash.  Sometimes, the need is to simply make a quilt that requires very little thinking and planning - just cutting and sewing! Hey, enjoy those processes, too. *wink*

To inspire you in this sew along, scroll through here for pictures of the quilt tops finished so far. First, let's have a look once again at the picture of Helen Philipps' quilt which is serving as our inspiration.

Click for source.

Helen's quilt is a table topper. Perhaps that was her need, or perhaps she was using up leftover fabrics. Or perhaps her need was to make a little quilt fast. Who knows? I certainly don't, but regardless, she made a pretty quilt that I wanted to imitate.

My particular need was more desire than need: make a quilt that looked like Helen's using fabric from my existing stash. No buying! It was such an enjoyable quilt to make! It makes me so happy just staring at it. This original Spring Dreams quilt is 72 blocks (8x9). Strip-piecing the 9-patches made for a very fast finish.

As Sharon was beginning the sew along, her desire was to use some favorite fabric in her stash - Paris Flea Market by 3 Sisters/Moda. She selected a complimentary polka dot fabric by Robyn Pandolph for the sashing, and came out with this breathtaking beauty, so whispery soft and feminine. Her quilt contains 16 blocks (4x4); she was limited by the sashing fabric and made her quilt as big as that fabric would allow.



While working on my first quilt, I thought it might be fun to limit myself to using only the scraps I have recently been cutting and sorting. That became my rule: totally scrappy, no yardage. When Spring Dreams was done, I began work on Scrappy Spring Dreams. At just 9 blocks (3x3), it was so very fast to make.


It was right about this point in the sew along that I was nearing obsession. (That's a good thing, by the way.) After browsing in an LQS, I was inspired to use my Corey Yoder collection (tucked away over a year ago). The CY tub had enough fabric for another full-size quilt, so I jumped in and made Lulu Lane Spring Dreams.


Currently, my need is to have a patriotic quilt, and I am working on that one now. I envision it being in the range of a lap quilt, but I will be flexible concerning size. It will end up being determined by my sashing fabric.

One thing I hope you are NOT doing is concerning yourself with hurrying. I know all too well how limited one's time can be, and it's hard to show a lot of progress if you also have a job and a family and additional obligations. In my case, I am not working this semester, so I am free all day, every day (this pandemic!), consequently I am finishing these quilts rather quickly. My speed is just that - my speed. You do your speed, as fast or as slow as that may be. Just enjoy!

Happy Quilting, Friends!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!