Monday, March 28, 2022

Baby Quilt Slow Stitching

Normally slow stitching is a feature of Sunday, but I was unable to get my stitching photographed in time, so I am slow stitching on this fine Monday morning.

Yesterday, I did some speed stitching, and actually made a whole baby quilt. I started about 11am, and by 8pm I was gathering my supplies for slow stitching the binding. Pressed, cut, stitched, quilted, and bound all in one day. Gracious! With baby quilts it's an easy task. I never make anything too complicated for baby use.


This collection is what I began with. The white fabric on the bottom is flannel with baby motifs. I bought it from a basket at my LQS, Old Town Fabrics, where they wrap the ends of bolts. At 1.25 yards, it serves as the backing for the baby quilt. It also served as the inspiration for the fabrics I selected for the quilt top. They, too, were selected from a basket of remnants and precuts at the same LQS.

In the mix is a little print with tractors and another with airplanes. I added some stripes, dots and solids. In hindsight, I wish I'd used another gray, but oh well.

As I worked in the sewing room yesterday, I was only intending to press and cut. But the more I planned, the more I was motivated to just keep going. So I did!


Now, the baby for whom this quilt is intended won't be born until August; and his baby shower is likely to be June. Consequently, this is all you get to see until the gifting. Secret sewing!

Since I am binding, and technically I did take a few stitches last evening, I am linking up with the Kathy's Quilts and her weekly Slow Stitching  party. I was so involved in sewing yesterday that I haven't yet looked at what all the talented makers have contributed. Go have a look with me!

Happy Quilting, Friends!




2 comments:

  1. Hi Jayne, perfect fabric for a baby and how cozy the flannel will be. Also wonderful to get it done and dusted in a day. Slow stitching binding is so satisfying too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful quick finish. It's so good to have gifts made in plenty of time.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!