Tuesday, March 22, 2022

A Clean Table

While Sharon quilted on the Tin Lizzie  (see last post), I was determined to clean off my cutting table. And I did. I don't mind showing you the before and after photos of this long-overdue task.

This table is at least 6' long, and I have covered the far two-thirds of it with stacks and piles of stuff that need to be put away. The 20-30 inches of available cutting space is not nearly enough  room to be efficient with cutting and trimming. The far end of this table had reached critical mass. Here's another view of the same heaping mess.

The piles contain all manner of quilting detritus. Most of the disarray consists of the remnants of old projects. My tendency to be so gung-ho on starting the next new thing means that I don't properly deal with the scraps and leftovers of the last one. After a few months of this slovenly behavior, a cutting table becomes a chaotic scrap mountain.

Here are additional views of the lovely mess. There on top is the embroidery project I intended to work on while in Florida. I didn't make very much progress on that at all.


Add to all those leftovers, the random trial block, fun "experiment," blocks, recent purchases, rejected auditions, numerous WIPs, and random whatnot - the piles just continue to grow, becoming ever more daunting to me when I think about tackling the clean up task.

With Sharon in the next room quilting, I set aside this time to face the music. The table must be cleared.

My first move was to bring up two empty storage tubs from the basement. I'd like to think that these will just be temporary holding places, but the jury is still out on that determination. It's hasn't been a full week since the cleaning; we will have to wait and see how temporary this is.

The day's efforts were very satisfying. I did make good progress, and feel like I have gained control of this particular situation, at least. (I have plenty of other situations needing attention, but I'm currently ignoring those.)

The two tubs are full. My next step here ought to be to move these fabrics into the color-sorted tubs which already exist in my closet. That requires a bit of space and lifting, so I can see it happening, but perhaps not immediately. 

The cross-stitch project is there on top, and hidden under it is another one I uncovered. I have so many UFOs and WIPs. My focus is all over the place.

And feast your eyes on all this cleared space! Whoa! Down there at the far end is the very next scrap-busting work I plan to do. 

A closer view will show you small stacks of strips and squares. I also have some leftover pieced blocks - orphan blocks - and a small bin of scraps that need to be cut down and added to the stacks I've got started. The fabric-covered tin can is my waste basket, and seeing it full is a good sign that I'm throwing things out. 

I have worked on whittling down that tub of scraps this week, and slowly but surely I am making my way to the bottom of the tub.

This final picture shows a bit of progress. I like to cut 5" squares (charm squares), 2.5" squares and strips, 2" squares and strips, and 1.5" squares and strips. There are some odd additional squares, and I have storage for all of these tucked into a corner and under my table. All will be put in the proper box or bin eventually. The tub still looks pretty full, but honest, I have cut a lot. 

So, the once annual cleaning of the table has taken place. I would like to think I will work harder at keeping it tidy, but I am not making any promises.

Happy Quilting, Friends!











No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!