Saturday, March 5, 2022

Local Shopping

This week I had an opportunity to while away a couple of hours in Chillicothe, a town about 25 mile from our home, and where I worked as a teacher for 40+ years. I used to spend lots of time shopping over there, but since fully retiring, I rarely go to Chillicothe any more, and hardly ever for shopping. I don't need anything, and I have things I'd rather do at home! I suppose I've become quite a homebody these last few years.

But, I digress. Back to a few hours of shopping. Yes, I visited our two LQS's - local quilt shops - and found lots of temptations. For anyone looking for a day of quilt shop exploration, Chillicothe would be a good destination.  Let's do a quick visit of Sew Clever Quilt Shop and Old Town Fabric Shop.

Sew Clever hosts a Sit and Sew every Wednesday morning, and I was arriving along with several ladies who were setting up for their day of stitching. Listening to their chatter and conversations, one could tell that they were frequent attendees and quite friendly. Talk of quilts and fabrics and methods and such filled the shop.


 As we all know, I have absolutely no need for more fabric, yet I could not resist having a look around. Especially, after Mary Ann, an employee I know, told me that fat quarters were still on sale, and to be sure to check the 50% off table of Christmas fabrics. Yes, of course... *grin*

The fat quarter cubbies; I did select a few.

Interesting display quilts adorned the ceiling and wall. Meandering through the shop was a real treat. Largely, the fabrics are bright, cheerful and colorful. There are tons of patterns, notions and accessories. A quilter's wallet could suffer quite a hit if one were so inclined! Lots of temptations!

I next moseyed across town to Old Town Fabric Shop. I'd stopped here just a week previous, so I knew they had some fabric of interest on their clearance table. One cannot ignore fabric marked down to $6/yard!

When one turns around from that back corner, the view to the store front features what seems like an endless wall of fabric. Heavenly! In the foreground are shelves of batiks, while regular quilting cotton is arranged by color beyond that. 

Lots more fabric shelves fill out the center of the room, and a lot of this is arranged by designer.

The Old Town folks also have lots of great display quilts hanging throughout the shop, providing all manner of inspiration. In addition to the 1.3 yards I found on the sale table, I  bought sale fabric for a baby quilt that must be made soon.

I've only shown pictures of the fabric side of the shop, but this store also had an extensive classroom area, along with machine sales and notions, patterns, and related supplies. 

Both shops offer long arm quilting services, too. 

If you are in Ohio, a day spent in Chillicothe can be enhanced by a wide variety of restaurants, thrift stores, and specialty shops. Bridge Street has all the chain establishments, while the revitalized, historic downtown has lots of truly unique and charming independent shops.

Since I sound like a representative of the visitors bureau (I am not), I may as well include a website to take you there.

Using my stash is my main focus and will remain so for the foreseeable future. However, it is fun to augment - carefully augment - with select fabrics that will enhance what I already own. I really have curbed my fabric buying. Really.

Happy Quilting, Friends!








 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!