Thursday, March 31, 2022

Strips and Scraps


I find myself in that strange quilter's limbo with no particular deadlines to meet, no currently pressing work in progress (WIP), and no burning desire to begin anything particularly special. Hmmm, what to do...

A few posts back, I reviewed the goals list for 2022, which left me thinking about beginning one of the quilts named there. It was actually a good thing to have been reminded of the quilts on the list as I needed that visual to make me stay focused.

Items number 4 and 5 on the list are quilts that can be made with scraps. Since I've been organizing scraps for a couple of years now, I have a great load of 2.5" squares which can be used of #4 - Great Granny Square quilt, and an equally great load of 2.6" strips which can be used for #5 - Mini Trip Around the World quilt - aka Trippy Quilt.

This basket contains my spilling-over stack of 2.5" strips. This should either be used up, or moved to a larger basket. I vote for using some of it.

I began picking through the strips and found some that looked good together. After checking on line for directions and some inspiration pictures, I made 4 blocks.


And when placed together, we get our mini Trip Around The World. I will need to make a lot more of these strips to end up with enough for a quilt top, and I don't think I will make a very big dent in the contents of the basket. 


The individual blocks measure 12.5 inches unfinished, so this mini TATW comes to 25 inches. If I make 36 more units, I will have enough for a 75-inch quilt top. I think. I hope I calculated that correctly. It would work out to be a square quilt, but all the trips would be complete. If I added partial trips, I could end up with a rectangular quilt of 75" by 87.5". That would be more in keeping with a mattress size. I will have to see how it looks when I get to that point. 

Either way, I have many more blocks to make, and plenty of strips from which to choose. Here is one inspiration picture I've taken from Instagram. Is this scrappy goodness or what?

Click the image to be taken to the IG page of Southern Charm  Quilts. She has all sorts of goodness there - mostly fabric. Yum.

So I find myself facing my own laptop dilemma, presently. I have had to finish this post from my iPhone - not fun. Hopefully, I can get something worked out. Maybe/maybe not I’ll see you back here tomorrow to welcome April. I’ll also be bringing progress on that Great Granny Square quilt I mentioned at the outset.

I don’t particularly care for April fools day pranks.
Happy Quilting, Friends!
Jayne 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!