Monday, March 14, 2022

Ocean Ripples

It's a beautiful Monday! Even with recovering from the loss of an hour due to the time change, I am energized this morning because the sun is out and the temperatures are warming up! Three inches of snow covered this land on Saturday morning. Today, not a sign. Bring it, Spring!

I mentioned in the last post that I'd been super busy and today I want to show you part of what I had going on. A good while back I shared that I'd selected quilts from various Kaffe Fassett books that I wanted to make this calendar year. Here's the post; it also includes my goals for 2022.


To my way of thinking, Ocean Ripples seemed to be the easiest and fastest to make, so I set to work at cutting two layer cakes. I have had to alter the size of my HSTs from what this pattern calls for, but I couldn't bear the thought of wasting any part of the layer cakes, so it was a fair alteration in my way of thinking.

One layer cake consisted of more purple than blue, but put together, I thought they'd be perfect in this quilt. So from each 10" square I cut one 6" square and three 3.5" squares for this quilt. With the bit of layer cake that remained, I cut 2.5" squares that went into my scrap collection.

I drew the diagonal lines, stitched on either side, pressed open, and trimmed. That's a lot of triangle trimming! I am making a bigger quilt than the pattern calls for, so major production time over here!

This picture shows all the larger HSTs from one layer cake. Below, after using the second layer cake to do this many more HSTs, the look has a lot more purple in it.

So what I did was to root around in my KF tubs looking for blues and greens to filter into the mix. I have now made about 30 more large triangles and perhaps 20 small triangles. They are at the trimming stage.

Not a bad fabric dive, right? I have these greens paired up with various blues, and that will hopefully remove the purple overload. I will lay the whole thing out on the bed when all the triangles are trimmed. At this point, I couldn't even say how many I've made or how big this quilt will be!

Trimming takes forever, but I know when I begin construction, that will save me a lot of frustration. This pile is all that is left from 2 layer cakes and trimmed triangles. 

I am off to spread some cheer to a friend suffering an illness. I hope you all are having a glorious Monday!

Happy Quilting, Friends!



 


 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!