Friday, March 4, 2022

March Project: Cottage Green

In my stash a green print fabric has been calling to me ever since I bought it about 10 months ago. Typically, I don't buy a lot of green, and when I purchased this while we were at retreat last April, I had not a clue as to how I would use it. I couldn't come up with a single fabric already in the stash that would match it, and I had no burning desire for a green quilt.

I simply just loved this mini-floral print. Period.

 

I do not recall how much I bought - maybe 2 yards, maybe 3 - and I have kept it sorta' out in the mix of things in my quilting room ever since. I'd consider an idea, pull some fabrics, audition various looks, and then put it back. I knew at some point I would arrive at the perfect intersection of green print + supporting fabric + pattern.

And, yes, that point came about a week ago, just as I was finishing Temecula Baskets. Sharon P. was here and we were dreaming of future quilts. This green solid and white grunge had tremendous appeal, but what pattern? I sealed the deal when we landed on the idea of snowball blocks combined with 9-patch blocks. 

With the help of Sharon's discerning eye, I'd arrived at that perfect intersection, and it included a bonus - EASY! This quilt has been a dream to stitch.


When I started this project, I had no idea how big a quilt I would end up with. Of the 3 fabrics, I had the least of the solid green; that, then would decide the size. I would make snowball blocks for as long as the solid lasted; when it was gone, that was how many 9-patches I would make. I used every last inch of the green. Above, you see the fantastic results - 55 of each block. My quilt will be 10 blocks wide and 11 blocks long.

After I had a few blocks made, I just had to test the look. I love it! Laying a few out on the floor, stepping back, studying from various angles - all so very pleasing. 

I needed a good name for this quilt. Referring to it as "the green 9-patch and snowball quilt" would not roll off the tongue smoothly at all. Quite clumsy, actually. Thinking cap on... The soft little green print puts me in mind of an English cottage garden just as spring flowering is bursting on the scene. And English hamlets are often centered on greens, or town squares. There it is - Cottage Green.

I did take a straight-on shot and played around with a photo editing app which gives me a glimpse of what my final quilt will look like.The number of rows and columns is off, but the final will look very similar.

I am currently sewing blocks together using the chain-piecing method (Eleanor Burns style). I should be able to finish the quilt top this weekend. 

I have another solid fabric that I eliminated from use in this. It is a dull gold color, and picks up the gold in the print fabric. I might use it as a border for this quilt. It won't compete with the gentle colors of the center, but will serve to add a wow! factor, perhaps. 

We shall see.

Happy Quilting, Friends!





6 comments:

  1. Beautiful. A combination is very relaxing and peaceful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You managed to find a great combination of fabric and pattern for your green floral and a bonus wonderful name.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes simple is the best - that’s true in this case, for sure!

      Delete
  3. Your quilt is beautiful. So calm and refreshing. And it's amazing the way just a few fabrics can make a design so unique and attractive. Sometimes I think we lose the overall graphic effect of a quilt design when we use so many different fabrics. Love, love, love, bookmarking this page for future inspiration. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet comments! Since I know you’ve bookmarked, I will try hard not to disappoint! 🥰

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!