Tuesday, May 2, 2017

May UFO

Do allow me to brag for just a moment, won't you? In January, I entered our UFO Challenge for the 2017 calendar year. This means that we in the challenge (our Frankfort group, mostly) list 12 UFOs to be finished. Then each month a number is drawn randomly and the UFO associated with that number on your list is what you are supposed to finish.

Now to the bragging: my record thus far in 2017 is 100%! I have somehow managed to finish the UFOs for January, February, March and April. For a seasoned, well-trained procrastinator like myself, this is unheard of! It boggles the mind!

January - Mid-Century Reds
February - Lorraine

March - Small Tumblers

April - 9-Patch Strippy
Sure makes me happy to see all these projects finished to the flimsy stage. I will concern myself with getting them quilted later.

It is time to see what I will be focusing my attention on in May for this UFO Challenge. The number drawn was 5, so I will finish Navy Monkey Wrench.

I cannot say with any precision a date when I began this quilt. I do believe I cut out the Monkey Wrench blocks to take with me to DS's track meets, and I think it was when he was in high school rather than college (we didn't get to as many of his college meets). This loose time frame would be between 1997-2001. So we are looking at possibly 20 years ago.

I did hand piece all the blocks all those years ago, but only in the last year or two did I get around to machine stitching them with the setting squares. I have used a variety of blues and a variety of neutrals for a very scrappy 2-color quilt. The side and corner triangles are one consistent blue. The part you see above measures 50x59 inches. I stopped because I couldn't come up with a border that suited me. In the short time I've had it out of the closet this morning, I have decided that I will use a narrow neutral border and a wide navy border. That's all. So simple. It should be a breeze to finish. And of course, it will all be from the stash - no new fabrics will be used in the completion of this project. *grin*

Here's a few individual blocks; it may be easy to recognize some of the fabrics from back in the late 1990s.






With any luck at all, I should be able to brag about being 5-for-5 in rather short order. Yay! I've linked to Connie's Linky Tuesday blog; it's fun to see what other quilters are working on. I'm also going to consider this my OMG - One Monthly Goal - so I've linked with Elm Street Quilts for May's OMG party.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

Lynn Wilder said...

Well done YOU! Just look at all of those beautiful quilt tops.

Patty D from NC said...

Love the blue in your quilt top. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and good luck on your project.