Thursday, May 18, 2017

Reading and Recovering

Besides glue-basting hexies, reading quilt magazines, and attaching borders, I have found myself buried in a very good book as I make may way through recovery from surgery. I imagine quite a few of you know the feeling of being happily buried in a good book. You get carried off to another place and time, and before you know it, all else is forgotten.

I love when that happens.


The book I am currently buried in is called The Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street by Susan Jane Gilman. Published in 2014, it is the story of Malka, who along with her family flees Russia to find a new beginning in the USA. The tragedies that befall her and others in her family as she grows up in early 20th century New York City are told in flashbacks by the present day Lillian (her American name) as an elderly ice cream mogul. Initially, I was not very much liking the main character, but since this is a book club read, I needed to stay with it. She has grown on me, at last, and I am enthralled by her story, and halfway through, I find that I cannot stop reading. The story of the immigrant experience in NYC in the early 1900s is fascinating. I hope I am equally enthralled by the ending.

So there goes glue-basting and anything else quilting related for the next day or two. Ah well, one needs balance, eh?

Happy Quilting - or Reading - Friends!

1 comment:

  1. Hope you continue to recover nicely from your surgery as you enjoy reading.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!