Tuesday, May 17, 2022

Reading

You all probably know that I listen to audio books while I sew, and this has become my primary way of reading, especially since retiring. I love the fact that I feel as though I am multi-tasking in the two most favorite activities - sewing and reading. Perfect!

Typically I use an app on my phone called Overdrive. It is connected to my local library and the consortium with which it is affiliated, so access to a vast library is just a click away. Any requests for current best-sellers are usually backed up with a long wait list; so to fill down time I have made a goal of working my way through all the Plantagenet and Tudor novels by Philippa Gregory. 

That's quite a goal.

These novels cover the years of 1430-1568 and there are 15 total (unless she's added some since I last tallied it up). 

Originally, I was trying to read them in chronological order, but lately I've been taking them as available, so I'm all over the time period. Eventually, I find myself situated in the correct royal court of the correct royal family. I am currently reading The White Princess.

This is the third novel in the series and is about the York princess Elizabeth who, to unite the kingdom, must marry Henry VII, a Tudor. It's entertaining reading; I don't fret if I don't hear every word. The thread of the plot is easy to pick up if I am momentarily lost. 

What draws me to these novels is two-fold: I'm impressed that Gregory manages to keep all the people and their various connections straight. Even more impressive is that Gregory is able to present characters as both heroes and villains. For example, Margaret Beaufort was a wicked lady in one novel, and is the sympathetic main character in another. It really shakes my opinions about these historic figures when presented from both sides. It makes me realize that these people had both redeeming qualities and despicable qualities. Everyone does, wouldn't you say?

I need to get cleaned up for a book club meeting; we read The Maid by Nita Prose; I will share some thoughts on it in a later post.

Gotta' run!

Happy Quilting, Friends! And happy reading, too!



1 comment:

  1. I Love hearing about what others are reading! I've had 'the maid' on order at my library for ages, I'm 136 of 362 holds!!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!