Friday, May 20, 2022

Rosy Stepping Stones

Yes, it's reveal time! Steadily all this week I have whittled away at assembling the diagonal rows for this quilt. I mentioned in this post from last week that my fabric choices were not suiting me. After a winning substitution and a slightly different layout - VOILA! - I have a quilt top that I love!

There is nothing particularly fancy about this quilt. The stepping stones blocks are just as simple as can be. The blocks are nice and big. I had absolutely no fussy business anywhere. The decision to go with the rose print fabric for the setting blocks just makes it work. My earlier choice was so obviously NOT the right fabric, and I am so glad I questioned it.  There was a time when I wouldn't have. 

Previously, as well, I had no intention of setting these blocks on point, yet it just seemed so perfectly obvious that this MUST be the layout, so here we go!!

Never in all the quilt pictures I've taken over the years have I had so much trouble getting a color to show true. This solid is rose-colored, and each picture, regardless of how I try tweaking the various filters, looks terra cotta and much too dark. 

Here's a look at the selvage of the print fabric - a vintage 2007 piece for RJR called A Beautiful Time. What a lovely name, and it also describes my time spent sewing and quilting - beautiful. Luckily, I had 2 yards of this, so I was able to make quite a decent-size quilt. It fits nicely across this queen bed. I've used 30 stepping stone blocks and 20 setting blocks.Each block finishes at 9 inches.

Need a close-up shot? Here's one with a nicely centered rose bouquet.

Finishing this leaves me in that uncertain place not knowing quite what I will work on next. I have a few more new quilts brewing in my mind, and I need to get a couple of quilts onto that long arm. I am determined not to let myself get too far behind on that marathon I am attempting.

Happy Quilting, Friends!



3 comments:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!