Monday, October 19, 2015

Anatomy of a Scrap Bin

You know I've been tidying up the sewing room. You also know that I have had some remaining small tubs and bins that I needed to sort. Today I bring you the typical stuff I am finding when I pour out the contents of these bins.
 

I have labelled the significant finds. There are additional unlabelled things, but my picture could only hold so many labels. *wink*

Why is there such an odd assortment of things jumbled up in a tub? Maybe some of you are the organized sort of quilter. The type that puts things away when finished with a project. They type that subscribes to the "a place for everything and everything in its place" philosophy.

I would not be categorized as that type.

My method is to pile the leftover stuff from a project off to the side to make room for the next one. Then before long, I will have 4-5 more projects going and leftovers from all of them will get piled on top of the pile. When the pile has grown to the point that it topples over or in some way impedes my work on something, I find a tub/bin and scoop it all in to be forgotten for a lengthy time. Or maybe forever.

Case in point, the mystery bag found inside this particular bin. I have no recollection of this whatsoever. I've opened it, unfolded the contents, pressed the contents, photographed the contents. And still no recollection. I was probably just playing around.

Looks like something worth finishing. Some of it is machine stitched; some is hand stitched. I used these fabrics in another project that I actually DO remember, so this must have come after that one. Still, that doesn't really answer any questions as to WHY I made this block.

Oh well. No need to spend time figuring it out. I will put all of this stuff away - in its place - and move right on along to the next tub of scraps. Yes, there is more.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. You are so funny! And honest! ha
    I am not going to say which category I fall into... but I think of it as continuous surprises when I am "reorganizing"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so much like what I do. We call it a stash and dash here. You dash around gathering things up and stash them away. Then months later one finds a box of random stuff and wonder why.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!