Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Learning to Envision - Hexie Style

I mentioned in a recent post that I still feel like quite the beginner at this hexie business. I don't seem to be able to get a vision in my head of how a design will look when duplicated in 4s or 8s. Take a look at what I mean.


These two pictures are the same 4 pieces just places two different ways. When I cut them out, I was thinking about the top picture being the one I would want. That design seemed to offer the most interest. After putting them side-by-side in both directions, however, I find that I prefer the bottom picture, as it creates a much more interesting design with the darker browns. Isn't that surprising? It is this ability to "envision" how these units will look when sewn together that I lack at this stage of my learning. Perhaps this will become easier to see as time goes along. I sure hope so.

Do any of you hexie girls have any encouragement for me??

Happy Quilting, Friends!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't jumped on the hexie bandwagon... yet! But I do think it's a learning process. Finding unexpected beautiful designs is wonderful! I like the second design better, too. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice and yes tough to envision isnt that what play is for? lol I would be in BIG trouble playing and not sewing ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jayne, there is a mirror you can get (or make) that will help you 'Envision'. I use mine often. Here's a link to photos https://www.google.com/search?q=quilters+design+mirrors&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!