Sunday, January 26, 2020

A Personal Challenge - Doing BH1

Back on the 15th, the day Blockheads 3 began, I posted about my less-than-stellar track record with completing sew alongs. I also posed the possibility of going back to work on BH1 (1 block made), as well as BH2 (8 blocks made in two quilts/total of 16 blocks made).

You see where this is going, right? Yes, I am going to try to catch up on those previous Blockheads. It will be my personal challenge. After just two weeks, it's fun. We shall see how far I make it. Any progress is better than no progress.


The first big hurdle with any newly-hatched plan was deciding on what fabric to use. Since I had been (and still am!) in the middle of a scrap-busting effort, I thought I should use scraps. The scraps I have dealt with in just the past week or so have barely dented that massive scrap collection upstairs. I have bits everywhere. And most of it is stuffed into giant tubs, quite unorganized and haphazard.

One place where I have maintained some order with my scraps is with specific lines of fabric or designers. After finishing quilt tops with those lines or designers, I put all remaining fabrics and scraps in a labeled tub to be stored under my cutting table. I have a tub of Larkspur, one of Roman Holiday, French General (all lines), American Jane (all lines), Snowbird - you get the idea. It occurred to me that dealing with scraps doesn't only mean cleaning up messy, unorganized bits. It also means actually using the leftover, moderately organized fabrics stored in those tubs.

And that, my quilty friends, is how an idea was born!

I pulled out the French General tub and went to work. I love all the fabrics by this designer and they all work so well together. Having seen lots of finished BH1 quilts online, I know this will be a beauty when finished. And I certainly don't have to worry that I will run out of fabric.

The first block, Whirlygig, went together fairly well and it didn't require any 'unsewing' - always a bonus.


The week 2 block is called Aunt Dinah, and it was equally easy to finish. Maybe having enough fabric is key in this whole sew along business. In the past, often I have stopped because of limited fabrics in the line I chose to work with. Hmmm...


And another quilt is underway in Jayne's Quilting Room. What a way to kick off January of a new decade! I am happy to be doing it, and look forward to seeing all the blocks come together.


Okay, Peeps, what have I put off for nearly the entire month? My 2020 quilting goals. Well, I have finalized my list, and plan for that to be the topic of tomorrow's post. Talk then! Ta-ta!

Happy Quilting, Friends!


2 comments:

  1. I've really enjoyed seeing all the different Moda blockhead blocks showing up on facebook! The French General is perfect for these!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!