Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Grumbling

Pardon my grumbling, but I really don't like "learning curves." I want to know how to do it correctly the first time, and not be forced to restart and retry and rework.

So what went wrong? I was working - successfully, I might add - on the two baby quilts I had in the queue. I tried having them both loaded on the long arm at the same time, but that didn't work, so I did the one for my nephew's baby first. It is done, but I am not especially thrilled with the results. The backing has some folds and "bunching." I am trying to decide if it is worth unstitching and redoing it.

Since the other baby quilt was the true "deadline" quilt I needed to finish, I went to work on it. See previous post for full details on that. I had about 3/4 of it finished when I needed to change the bobbin. I did it just the way I always do it, yet all the stitching taken after that bobbin-change was a mess. The term I have learned for describing what was happening is "eyelashes" - on the underside the quilting resembles eyelashes rather than stitches.

Stock image from Google search.
My investigation leads me to 1) change the needle, 2) check the upper tension, and 3) rethread the machine.



Before I could go further, I first had to remove a significant amount of stitching. Grumble, grumble, grumble. I have changed the needle, and have checked the threading. I have yet to test out tension, and have yet to see if my first two efforts have solved things. I will let you know. I have to get this quilt back to Hettie ASAP!

Happy Quilting, Friends! And soldier on!


2 comments:

  1. I've been longarming since 2001 and this still occasionally happens. UGH! As far as the bunching on the other quilt, is this one you are getting paid for? If not, once the quilt is washed and dried it will be crinkled all over. Do you think that will hide the problem areas any?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tension on the top is to tight - it is pulling the bobbin thread up! When you start a new quilt - always check the tension - from someone who has ripped a of threads out! LOL! I change the needle each quilt, and check leave enough room on each side of the batting and backing to do practice stitches before quilting! Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!