Sunday, January 5, 2020

Long Arm Job

When I began (finally!) using the Tin Lizzie, I pretty much determined that I was going to get lots of practice on my own quilts before I ever even considered doing them for others.

Ahem.

You know, those best laid plans you're always hearing about? Mine have been shot to pieces.

My Frienzie, Hettie, contacted me Friday afternoon with an urgent need for a baby quilt to be quilted. The woman she had originally planned to have doing it was unexpectedly called out of state for an ailing parent. Yes, I am doing her quilt for her.


This baby quilt measures 38" x 52". Hettie requested stippling, but since I only know one type of quilting, she said that would be fine. Below is her backing.


So, what kind of stitching do I know how to do? Well, I suppose I invented it, based on seeing an awful lot of quilts over the years. Call it Jayne's Loopy Style - I just sorta' take off, having no idea what I'm going to end up with. I am beginning to understand what I have heard referred to as "muscle memory" - I do find that I achieve that after a while. Interesting how that happens.

The two pictures below are representative of Loopy Style. I will continue to perfect it, for sure. Practice makes perfect, as they say.



I have my own baby quilt to load, as well, so I am going to attempt putting both on at the same time. I did that with help down at the Cynthiana shop summer-before-last; it will make quick work of two quilts, if I can achieve it.


This is the baby quilt I need to finish. It is for a baby that is already 5 months old! My nephew's little boy Graham will be the recipient.

Hope you had a great weekend, and that your first full week of 2020 is productive.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. That quilting stitch looks lovely. I've seen similar stitching on other quilts and I like it better than stippling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will do great! Yes, once the word gets out that you have a longarm, the quilts start coming in. Just a word of advice, don't let anyone pressure you and listen to that little voice in your head if it says NO. Learned that the hard way. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!