Saturday, January 18, 2020

Follow Through

Back on Wednesday I said I was going to make the first block in the now-up-and-running Moda Blockheads 3 sew-along. I did follow through with that plan, made my block, but have had rather a lot of other things preventing me from posting about it.


First, I should know better than to cut out anything late in the day. I am a morning person, and from previous experience, I know that cutting projects after 6pm generally results in mistakes. Yes, I made mistakes. And then, to make matters worse, I cut my finger on the rotary cutter. I should have stopped. I should have known better, but I plowed on.

Second, I was scheduled to host the Frankfort Girls on Friday (yesterday) morning, so when I might have been making the block or blogging about the completion of the block, I was prepping for the girls, tidying up and planning refreshments.

Third, this week was my birthday for which a variety of plans had been made, so I was really limited in the time available for cutting, sewing and blogging.

Finally, I am back to teaching at the branch (Ohio University-Chillicothe), and obviously, this also consumed a good bit of my week.

Since I didn't even know if I would participate in this round of Blockheads, I hadn't given a single thought to fabric selection. This could end up being my eventual downfall in completing the sew-along, but I will go for as long as I can. I went to the drawer of precuts, and pulled out a fat-eighths bundle from many years ago called Faith, from the Collection for a Cause.


I have always been drawn to browns and pinks together; it is a combination I find quite appealing. Since I know going in that a fat 8ths bundle won't be nearly enough for a 50-week sew-along, I will go for as long as I can. Maybe I can be on the lookout for additional yardage of this fabric, too. Regardless, if I only have enough fabric to get partially through this sew-along, I will end up with enough blocks to put together something that I will love. Heaven knows I don't mind not finishing things!! That, at times, seems to be my preferred method!


Participants in this round of Blockheads have the option of making 6" blocks, 8" blocks, or 12" blocks. Because I have such I limited amount of fabric, I went with the small size. Had I planned ahead a little better, I imagine I would have liked the 12" blocks, and since I am saving all the patterns, I could always come back sometime and make them later.

The thing about small blocks is that they are made with even smaller pieces! What a time. I cut things wrong (not good when conserving fabric is essential!), and then I nipped my finger with the rotary cutter. Gracious! What a mess! I did not get blood on my block, though, just the pattern. See smudges below. And that was with the bandaid on, believe it or not! See what I mean when I say I should have stopped?


I kept right on going, though, and eventually, I finished the block - it measures right at 6.5 inches, just as it should. Whew. I am rather pleased with the look, too.


My record with finishing sew-alongs has not been stellar, yet each January, I find myself joining yet another one. Time will tell.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. Nice block, only a quilter would keep going when the blood is seeping through the bandaid! Happy stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The finished block was worth the trouble! I've already dropped out of 2020 QAL! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!