Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Blockheads 3 Begins Today

Any of you who follow Moda designers on FB, blogs or Instagram surely know that today is the official start of Blockheads 3. Being a flunk-out of Blockheads 1 and Blockheads 2, I am reluctant to tell you that I am considering trying again. Maybe the third time will be a charm!! Regardless of my track record, it hasn't stopped me from following all the buzz leading up to this big day.

https://my.modafabrics.com/inspiration-resources/block-heads-3

Blockheads 1 was held in 2017. I printed off every single pattern - like maybe 40 or 50 total - and made exactly one block. I could still make that sampler if I want. The patterns are organized neatly in a 3-ring binder in the quilting room. Here is the one block I made from round one.


Blockheads 2 came in 2018, and I really did intend to participate in that go-around. I actually decided to make two of each block using very different fabrics which would have resulted in two completely different quilts. One was a colorway that was strong and bold; the other was a colorway that was far more subtle and muted. However, I must have missed an announcement somewhere along the line telling us that blocks would be in varying sizes.

Above are two blocks from round two in the bold colorway. Below are some blocks made in the muted colorway.


I stayed caught up in Blockheads 2 for maybe 8 weeks, but when a week came along featuring a ginormous 24" block, I knew I would never have enough fabric to make it work. I needed more background fabric.

And that's when I stopped. Cold turkey.  On both colorways. I still have the bits within arm's reach in the quilting room, buried deep on my cutting table.

But, by gosh, I continued printing out instructions for each and every week right to the end of Blockheads 2. If I were to find some suitable background fabrics, I could actually finish. And maybe I will.

And so here we are on Day 1 of Blockheads 3. It will be another sampler quilt. It will have more Moda designers participating. There will be options for blocks of varying sizes or consistent sizes - participants decide. And, yes, I am considering getting into the game.

Will I flunk out again? Can I even consider that I will be so organized that I could go back and do the blocks from the earlier Blockheads in the corresponding week of this current one? That would be a fun challenge. Maybe I am a glutton for punishment. Maybe I just like a challenge. Maybe I am just off my rocker.

At this very moment, I don't know which way I will go.

I do know one thing: as soon as I tap the 'publish' button on this post, I am heading upstairs to make the first block of Blockheads 3. It is called Star Chain, and it is featured on Corey Yoder's blog today. The instructions are available for downloading. I have seen some beauties posted on the various social medias today, and I want to add mine to the mix.

Happy Quilting, Friends!



3 comments:

  1. I give you permission to start Blockheads 3 if you want to. Really, what does it hurt? I'm going to go check it out myself now. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't participate in Blockheads 1 or 2 but I'm tempted this time. I made the first block today and it was really fun. I just made it out of my scrap box so I won't run out of fabric anytime soon. I look forward to seeing your blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have NO idea what a relief reading this post was. I downloaded all the patterns in Blockheads 1 and 2 with good intentions. Unfortunately life happened, or I thought it did, and didn't finish making all the blocks for either round. After seeing the first block of Round 3 I'm anxious to get started and keep up. Thanks for the post....blessings!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!