Thursday, January 30, 2020

First of Three Baby Quilts

My girlfriends are becoming grandmas, and friends of our children are having babies, and the sum total of that means I have several baby quilts on my to-do list!

First, is a baby girl due Feb. 11, a granddaughter of my friend Cheryl. By total accident, I happened upon the prettiest soft yellow and gray flannel remnant. It's a hounds tooth plaid on creamy white, and it just looks exactly like something the new momma would like.


The remnant measured 1.25 yards, and just like that the size of the quilt was determined because that flannel is going to be my backing. My next step was to find suitable coordinating fabrics for the front. My thinking was that dots seemed like a great juxtaposition to the plaid, so I searched for gray and yellow fabrics with dots. You can see the variety I found in the picture above.

Two previous baby quilts I have made in recent months were made with simple 5" squares placed diagonally across the quilt. These go together so fast, and they are so functional for new babies and mommies - I want the recipients to USE the quilts!


I laid the backing fabric out on the guest bed and then placed my 5" squares in a design that pleased me. Stitching in Eleanor Burns' chain-piecing fashion, I had this top together really fast. After this was all sewn, I realized I could add more to both the width and length, so I did, and now I am ready to quilt it.


My plan is to make quilting it a priority sometime this weekend. I have a couple things to work around, but the quilt is small, so it should be totally doable.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


1 comment:

  1. What a great idea for baby quilts! I co-lead a quilting ministry at church and this would be something easy for our beginners to make.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!