Wednesday, November 3, 2021

Our Scrappy Exchange

The Frankfort Girls did something fun a few weeks ago that I have been remiss in sharing with you all. We are a group that does enjoy our little projects; the type of quilting-related activity that is fun, and easy, and also useful. We have done UFO Challenges, Block Exchanges, Sew Alongs (we all make the same pattern), and such. This most recent project was an exchange of 2.5-inch scraps.

We came up with the idea back in the late summer, and decided on a date in October when we would all be together for exchanging. The only rule was to cut scraps into 2.5-inch squares, stuff a gallon-sized freezer bag with them and VOILA! Ready for exchanging!

Now you know I have been very focused on cutting scraps lately, so this appealed to be from the get-go. I had nearly enough 2.5-inch squares already cut and had plenty more scraps to add, if necessary.

Above are pictures of the bag I came home with. This neatly packed bag of goodness was Becky's contribution to the exchange. She is a lover of reproduction fabrics, so I know I have many wonderful gems in here!

Just after we had our exchange, I decided to make that pillow which I shared last week. It was the first project for which I used the exchange blocks, and that was hugely successful! Here's the pillow panel during construction.

 And here's a couple of shots of my selection process from from Becky's donation bag. Diving into her over-stuffed bag was akin to a kid on Christmas morning!


We will continue to come up with fun little projects for our group as we move forward. We are tossing around the possibility of devoting 2022 to working on UFOs again. We did that back in 2016 and 2017. Believe it or not, as caught up as I was then, I have accumulated more UFOs these last 4 years. How does that happen?

Do you sew/quilt with a group? I highly recommend it. We love each other dearly, and we keep ourselves fresh and engaged with these occasional special projects. They are never meant to be burdensome; rather they are meant to be fun. Opting out is always an option; it is never a "requirement." Here are a few links to previous fun extra activities our group has enjoyed. There have been more!

Churn Dash Block Exchange

Ohio Star Block Exchange

9-Patch Block Exchange 

Sampler Block Sew Along

Harvest Pumpkin Quilt Sew Along

Happy Quilting, Friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!