Sunday, November 21, 2021

Revisiting Lake Effect

I have taken a brief hiatus from Lake Effect in recent weeks (months), and I finally find myself in the mood once again to tackle some of the applique for my one remaining panel. 

It occurs to me as I pull this back out that so very many steps are involved in applique. Trace the design onto the back of the panel; cut the shapes; back-baste shapes to panel; trim shapes; applique. This is a brief summary of the steps. Left out are decisions about fabric colors, thread colors, layering correctly (does the leaf go on top of the stem or behind the stem?) and neat workmanship on the actual appliqueing step.

Back of panel; bird fabric stitched to front.

Front of panel; two berries ready, as well.

Trimmed and ready for appliqueing.

The steps to this point are rather hum-drum, and maybe that's why I get so tired of working on this quilt. What comes next is the real stitching of those elements in place over that vine/stem. It is pleasurable work because it actually means it's done. And big shapes like the redbird are so nice, as they have few tricky curves and take up a lot of space. These leaves will be equally fun to do for those same reasons.

Three leaves prepped; back view.

Front view of leaves.

Trimmed and ready for appliqueing in place.

Because I grow impatient and want a fast finish, I stop work on this - my so-called Ten Year Project - and work on other things that come together faster. I do still want this quilt, however, and I intend to finish it. No pressure! I still have 6 years to meet that 10-year mark! *chuckle*

I am linking to Kathy's blog and her Slow Sunday Stitching party. I've not stopped by there for awhile, so go with me and have a look around!

Happy Quilting, Friends!





 

3 comments:

  1. Lake Effect is so beautiful! Slow work is just fine, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hand applique is a long process, which sometimes becomes tedious. A long, slow project is always great, as you can pull it out every now and then and work on it for a bit. Your Lake Effect is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! I completely understand the desire to see some effect for the cause! I probably have several multi-year projects. Your hand applique is beautiful ... it will be well worth the invested time! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!