Monday, November 15, 2021

Progressing on Goal #12

Making these 8.5 inch (unfinished) baskets has been lots of fun. I have been pulling out 2 or 3 colors at a time along with a neutral and I am taking my time. No chain piecing. No mass production. Just enjoying the journey. Seeing the little baskets piling up on the cutting table is rather a pleasing sight.

 

I currently have 12 baskets finished, two of six different colors. One Instagram follower commented that it looked like basic crayon colors, and I have to admit I agree. That was not at all planned, but so far that's how it appears.

The Temecula fabrics have been in my stash for a couple of years, and you know how we quilters do. We save special fabric for just the right quilt. I've done that for years and what it really amounts to is hiding gorgeous fabrics in tubs for years on end. No more! I determined that my pretty fabrics WILL be used!

As recently as May, I had a different notion for use of this fabric. I was deep into my Churn Dash phase, and I still think that would have been a viable option. For whatever reason, though, I did not follow through, and since then I've continued considering possibilities. When I saw this simple basket block in a quilt book (click here for title), the decision was a done deal. I love little baskets, and this one is just so easy! And, as I mentioned earlier, the cutting instructions yield 2 blocks, thus the reason for going slowly on construction. I want a lot of color variety in my little baskets. 

In addition to switching up the colors of the baskets, I am also using many different backgrounds, and a close look at the blue stack will show that I am mixing them occasionally. Rather than have bits of leftovers, I chose to follow our grandmothers' tendencies - no wasting! So mix and match, it is.

Today I have played around a bit with potential setting blocks. The stash of Temecula fabrics contains three gray FQs and I think those would make nice chain-style blocks across the quilt. I will continue with my blocks and share further progress as I work this week.

Is your Monday going great? It's been a slow start around here with nothing overly pressing going on. No immediate needs to fill. So I'm finishing the last of the coffee and doing a couple of loads of laundry. Soon, I will be heading off to the quilting room for more work on Temecula Baskets.

Happy Quilting, Friends!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!