Quilting Fun


While I love the satisfaction of finishing a quilt, it isn't the only way to have fun with quilting. Fun also comes from the great outings with girlfriends, shopping expeditions with Grandma, or just sitting in my "thoughtful spot" chair perusing magazines and books. The thrill of the next project waiting just there on the horizon...

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

9-Patch Criss Cross

The sewing has been so satisfying lately. I feel like I'm getting lots of things done, and finally I have begun working on a project that is on my 2012 to-do list.

It bears repeating: whenever I want a fast, easy project, I go with a Thimbleberries pattern. When she was really the "hot" item back in the 90s and 00s, I bought every book she published. And I'm glad I did! Even though I was unable to make a lot of her things when I bought the books, I am now finding that I go to her patterns quite frequently.

The pattern called 9-Patch Criss Cross is from the book At Home With Thimbleberries Quilts.




I actually have made this quilt before; the pattern center calls for 4 fabrics, but I used just 2. The pattern also calls for 2 additional fabrics for the borders, but I have not yet decided how to handle those. My earlier version turned out pretty well in just 2 fabrics, and it went together so fast. I decided it was time to make another one. Here are the fabrics I've pulled from the stash for the quilt center. The blue is a Kansas Troubles fabric; the neutral is by RJR, the red is Thimbleberries, and the gold is a nameless piece with nothing to identify it.


I will be busy today constructing the last of the 9-patch units. I got all the connecting units finished yesterday. Such fun sewing.



I will pull out my earlier version of this pattern and take a pic so you can see it and compare it to this new one. Stay tuned.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

I always go back to my t-berries books too. Your quilt is going to be wonderful!

Foolish Feathers said...

I've never used the T-patterns, although a friend told me about them. My fall-back is to use the Jacob's Ladder Block, rearranging it and playing with it. I should probably retire that one. Great job keeping yourself busy!