Monday, July 16, 2012

Thrifty

I finished this quilt top earlier this month, but have failed to share it here. The only photo I  have of it is substandard, but we'll go with what we've got.


I really ought to hang it up and try for a more decent shot. I searched a book of quilt block patterns, and found that the name of the block is Thrifty, thererfore, that is what I'm calling this one.

This is the 2nd quilt of 3 I am making with this invented pattern. I saw it made up in a shop and couldn't fathom paying for something so simple, so I've been making quilts using different sizes for the units. The first, which I called Victorian Roses (after the feature fabric I used), had 3.5" blocks for the 4-patch units. It made up fast, and I opted not to put borders on it, as it was quite large without them. You can see it by clicking here.

Now I've made this one, in which the 4-patch units are made with 3" squares. More manageable size, but I still have opted to forego borders. I really don't see a need for them, plus (and this is the real kicker) I don't have enough remaining fabric!

My plan is to make one more in which the 4-patch units will be made with 2.5" blocks. Just mt little experiment going on here. I always used to tell my students that I was a visual learner, and this supports that claim. I will have 3 quilts of the same pattern, gradually reduced in size. Interesting. At least to me.

Happy Quilting, Friends!




3 comments:

  1. Small, medium, and large thrifty quilts, very nice. It will be interesting to see how the three quilts look along side each other. I don't particularly like borders and why add one when the quilt doesn't need them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a nice pattern to use for a feature fabric one doesn't want to cut up small. Will have to keep it in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a lovely old-fashioned style quilt! The Victorian Roses are great!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!