Monday, July 16, 2012


I finished this quilt top earlier this month, but have failed to share it here. The only photo I  have of it is substandard, but we'll go with what we've got.

I really ought to hang it up and try for a more decent shot. I searched a book of quilt block patterns, and found that the name of the block is Thrifty, thererfore, that is what I'm calling this one.

This is the 2nd quilt of 3 I am making with this invented pattern. I saw it made up in a shop and couldn't fathom paying for something so simple, so I've been making quilts using different sizes for the units. The first, which I called Victorian Roses (after the feature fabric I used), had 3.5" blocks for the 4-patch units. It made up fast, and I opted not to put borders on it, as it was quite large without them. You can see it by clicking here.

Now I've made this one, in which the 4-patch units are made with 3" squares. More manageable size, but I still have opted to forego borders. I really don't see a need for them, plus (and this is the real kicker) I don't have enough remaining fabric!

My plan is to make one more in which the 4-patch units will be made with 2.5" blocks. Just mt little experiment going on here. I always used to tell my students that I was a visual learner, and this supports that claim. I will have 3 quilts of the same pattern, gradually reduced in size. Interesting. At least to me.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


  1. Small, medium, and large thrifty quilts, very nice. It will be interesting to see how the three quilts look along side each other. I don't particularly like borders and why add one when the quilt doesn't need them.

  2. Looks like a nice pattern to use for a feature fabric one doesn't want to cut up small. Will have to keep it in mind.

  3. Such a lovely old-fashioned style quilt! The Victorian Roses are great!


Feedback on my posts is always welcome!