Thursday, February 6, 2020

Another Baby Quilt

Six months ago, my nephew and his sweet wife had a little boy, Graham, and I knew - of course - that this baby was coming, yet I have just finished his quilt. (I take my job as Queen of Procrastination quite seriously, you know.)

I made the quilt in the summer. It was delayed during that time when I was attempting to get the long arm machine going.

Last month, I finally quilted it. And yesterday, I finally finished it with binding.


It was a super simple quilt to make; just varied strips of fabric sewn in horizontal rows. The only thing easier would be to do a single panel for a quilt; it meets my preference for fast and simple baby quilts.

While I know that no quilt is ever perfect, this quilt has more than its fair share of flaws. It will never go on record as an heirloom, for sure. Let's investigate the issues.

First, I scrimped on backing, and as a result the extra fabric I added to the sides for attaching to the long arm is showing in an odd-shaped strip along one side. In the picture below, it is that narrow strip of dark, solid blue.

Second, I was short on binding. Like I said, I was scrimping on backing, which was also my binding, so I had to pull out a close-enough remnant of binding to use on the remaining 18" of binding that I needed for the job.


Finally, and probably the worst of the flaws, I didn't insure that the backing was as taut as needed and I ended up with folds in the quilting. I did spend a bit of time considering the option of "unquilting" and redoing it, but I decided that for a baby quilt, I would go ahead and gift it, explain its imperfections, and encourage the family to use it as an everyday quilt.


That makes two finished baby quilts in one week! I am glad to be getting these projects finished and checked off my list. Finishes! Yay!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. Good for you for deciding that it was good enough to give - they will love it, I'm sure. I'm loving that backing!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!