Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Blockheads 3; Week 6 Block

Plodding right along with my numerous sew-alongs, on Friday and on Sunday I finished Magic, the name of Lisa Bongean's block for week 6 of Blockheads 3.

This block finishes just shy of the 6.5 inches it's supposed to be. It was totally intimidating to make such a small block with so many tiny half-square triangles. The designer recommended starching the fabric to eliminate nightmarish results, and I heeded that advice.

I made the center portion of this block on Friday when I attended Frankfort friend Terry's sewing day with the rest of the gang. I would say that every single part of it was 'unsewn' at least once. After one mistake would be fixed, then I would go straight into another mistake. Time and time again. I take total responsibility for the repeated mistakes. I thought I knew how to construct the center section, yet if I'd properly read the instructions I could have saved myself much aggravation. Oh well, live and learn.

As I faced the prospect of adding the outer border of HSTs, I planned ahead a bit - I made them larger than required, and trimmed them to size - 1.25 inches. Did you count? There are 24 of those tiny HSTs. Whew.


On Sunday evening, at last, I finished the block, and while it does measure slightly small, I don't expect that it will give me any trouble. Seam allowances can hide many irregularities, you know?


Here are my four finished blocks. I have the appliqued birdhouse block from week 4 in process; I am still undecided about adding the paper-pieced block from week 5. I will continue to think on it. I read that some participants are subbing in blocks from previous BH sew-alongs, and I very well may go that direction myself.

I do like how my blocks are looking; I sure hope I can continue to stay (relatively) caught up with this sew along through to the end.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


1 comment:

  1. I did a ton of re-sewing with this block too. And even after all that, my center didn't come together perfectly. It was challenging! Your block looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!