Monday, February 10, 2020

Lotsa' Stitchin'

We are only 41 days into 2020 and I feel really good about how much time I am devoting to my quilting. I have that renewed energy I always get at the beginning of a new year, plus I am teaching just two days a week this semester as opposed to the four days I taught last semester. Whew! That was a killer on my stitching time.


So far this year I have a couple of finishes - baby quilts - and lots of random starts. To name a few - BH1 and BH3, Summer Nights, scrappy square-in-a-square and Diagonal Madness. Is there more? I can't think of any, but golly, I have TONS of ideas swirling around in my head! I just keep adding and adding to the goals list. It would be really nice if I can maintain this pace.

One maintenance chore necessary last week was some needle attention. If you sew a lot, you know you can actually hear your needle going through the fabric. Well, the sound I was beginning to hear sounded "off" and I realized when I saw the seam shown below that I was in need of a new needle.


The blue showing through in the stitching is the navy fabric on the underside. The top and bottom threads are both gray/neutral. The result of this is that I have tiny little holes in the fabric because of the dull needle! Heaven only knows when I last changed the needle, but I know a whole lotta' stitchin' took place with that old needle. Weird coincidence: it is uncanny how withing 24 hours of my changing this needle I saw this picture on Facebook.


I have no idea how many times magnified these photos are, but suffice it to say this is a great illustration for us all to be more mindful of changing needles at regular intervals, and more frequently if we sew a lot.

And while we are on the subject of doing a lot of stitching, this also has been occurring quite a lot lately: running out of bobbin thread. And this time, I not only ran out of bobbin thread, but my spool of bobbin thread has run out, too! Further evidence that I am getting in lots of stitches. *smiles*


Today, my good buddy Sharon was able to come for a sewing day! Whoo-hoo! We have had a very long hiatus, so it was a real joy to be able to catch up and sew the day away.

I need to prep the pictures I took, so come on back tomorrow for a full rundown of our fun day.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


1 comment:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!