Saturday, February 8, 2020

Summer Nights Stars

Seems a bit strange to be making a quilt with the name Summer Nights here in mid-February. We currently have a bit of snow cover and seasonably cold temperatures, so thinking about summer is somewhat far-fetched. But thinking about a blue and white quilt, or a star quilt, or better yet both, is not far-fetched at all.

I have had this pattern ever since it was released by Bonnie Olaveson of CottonWay - maybe two years ago? Three? It's been awhile. Anyway, I made a couple of the star blocks right away, and then promptly moved on to other endeavors. But finishing this quilt was always lingering in the recesses of my mind.


I put it on this year's goals list, but I think I was already back at work on it last year. I showed a picture of my chaotic design wall here, and several blocks are pinned up there in the madness.

Well, today all 18 star blocks are at last finished. Whoo-hoo!!


My stash has provided me with wonderful navy blue options, and it has been a lot of fun revisiting some of these almost vintage fabrics. I have used perhaps 8-9 different blues in these stars. My plan for the setting blocks is to use just one consistent blue as a way of taming the chaos and letting the stars shine with their variety.




Now, I should qualify my claim of having all 18 stars finished. When I stacked all the blocks from the design wall, I discovered one block that was significantly smaller than the rest. I have no idea what happened, what I did, or how it came to be so small. I don't see any way of making it work, so I am going to save myself the aggravation of trying to force it and instead just make another one.


The small block is shown above. My guess is that it's a full inch smaller than necessary. I am pretty sure it was one of those early blocks made back when I got the pattern. Still, why I have such a huge discrepancy is mystifying.

Oh well...

Happy Quilting, Friends!



3 comments:

  1. This is going to be gorgeous. It reminds me of our spectacular day outside for the entire day. We has snow followed with freezing rain last night. It was in the low 20’s all Day with a steady wind. We live in southern Maine but fairly rural. So hubby and I delighted ourselves by going outside several times to enjoy the beauty of the day. Bright sunshine and the trees were heavy laden with ice the entire day. Even the told of the pines had glistening ice on them. They were glistening like glitter. Even the snow covered ground sparkled. It was like a Disney Production. Seeing your quilt reminded me of the beautiful day. The navy was so winter like. isn't it nice getting all the blocks done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blocks! Sorry about the little block, that's just one of life's mysteries. Looking forward to viewing the next step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those blue and white stars! Looking forward to the finish. Maybe tomorrow?
    đŸ’™Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!